Thursday, December 3, 2015

Michikawa Beach

Now that the winter season is here, it feels good to reminisce about the sunny summer days of Akita. This past summer was one of the most memorable summers of my life as I had entered a sea for the first time ever. It was such a thrilling experience that afterwards hubby and I often went to a nearby beach several times during the entire summer.


Third Monday of July is celebrated as Marine Day in Japan, and is a national holiday. This year it was observed on July 20th. The purpose of the holiday is to give thanks to the bounty of ocean and to consider the importance of the ocean to Japan. On Marine Day, hubby and I decided to have seafood for lunch. We went to Aeon Mall shopping center in Akita City and had lunch at a Japanese style restaurant named Ohitsu Gohan Shirokujichu located on the first floor of the mall. The restaurant specializes in seafood and fish dishes. I ordered a set menu of Kaisen-don which is a bowl of rice topped with various kinds of seafood Sashimi. Hubby ordered a set menu of Maguro-don which is a bowl of rice topped with Sashimi of tuna fish. We relished the food and it was delicious. For dessert we had chocolate banana parfait. It was a perfect lunch date for us.
My lunch set of Kaisen-don

Hubby’s lunch set of Magruo-don

Hubby having dessert


Since July 20th was Marine Day, after lunch we decided to visit Michikawa Beach located about 22 kilometers southwest of Aeon Mall. It took us about 30 minutes by our car to reach the beach. Michikawa Beach faces the Sea of Japan and is known for the clean fine white sand. The sandy beach was so serene, beautiful, and peaceful. Initially, we were planning to just go to the beach and enjoy the sceneries. But seeing the sea, I forgot about everything and entered the sea without proper beachwear. In Japan there is a proper and perfect way to do everything and so when I entered the sea in the usual clothes, hubby was a bit worried that people might think that I was drowning or trying to drown! But the sea was simply too tempting that day. I guess I was not much worried about what other people thought about me. Hubby did not enter the sea that day as he was also in his usual clothes.
Hubby standing at Michikawa Beach

The water of the Sea of Japan was cold but it was so tempting

I am splashing the water

Funny and a very typical Japanese pose


Although I have been to two beaches in India and a beach in Okinawa prefecture in Japan more than two decades ago, those were really like 'going' to the beach where I just wet my feet. At Michikawa Beach, I entered that deep in a sea for the first time in my life. It was a bit scary but an amazing experience. Even though I never learnt swimming, I could actually swim little bit without any practice. In fact, seeing me that deep in the sea, hubby did not believe that I do not know swimming. It was so exciting and I thoroughly enjoyed the sea waves at the beach. The waves rolling and crashing on the beach looked amazing. I played with the rolling waves and enjoyed the beautiful views all around. Although I was literally shaken up every time I was hit by a wave inside the sea, it was probably one of the most exciting and thrilling experiences I have had in recent years. Although hubby did not enter the sea, he too enjoyed the soothing sounds of the waves crashing on the beach. The sounds of the sea seemed to wash away our daily worries. We enjoyed at the beach and it was so much fun.
Splashing water and playing in the waves

Preparing myself to be hit by a wave

Shocked after being hit by the wave

But always ready to pose for a photo

Preparing myself to be hit by another wave

Shocked by the impact of the wave

And again posing after being hit by the wave

And again preparing myself to be hit by yet another wave

Now started enjoying the waiting time before being hit by the wave

Yet again shocked by the impact of the wave

And again posing

And one more time preparing myself to be hit by a wave

And the moment when hit by the wave


Since we so much enjoyed going to the sea beach on July 20th, we again visited Michikawa Beach in the afternoon of July 26th. This time, I made sure that we were in beachwear so that hubby could also enjoy the sea and the rolling waves crashing on the beach. We played in the waves and enjoyed the beautiful views all around us. I have fallen in love with the sea and the beach. It was a great way to spend the afternoon.
Hubby at Michikawa Beach

Sea water was cold

Hubby playing in the waves

Hubby having fun time

My typical pose

I am splashing water and preparing myself to be hit by a wave in the sea

Posing after being hit by the wave

Preparing myself to be hit by another wave

And posing afterwards

Love the sea and the beach


We have been to Michikawa Beach several times this past summer. It was one of the most memorable summers of my life as it was the very first time in my life that I entered a sea.

2 comments:

Echelon Tech said...

Your Blog has surprise element.It is always refreshing to come back.

Manisha Kundu-Nagata said...

Thanks for your comment Echelon Tech.